Prakasam Barrage has the impressive structure of stretch 1223.5 meter long across the Krishna River connecting Guntur and Krishna districts. The barrage serves also as a road bridge and spans over a panoramic lake. The three canals associated with the barrage, run through the city of Vijayawada criss crossing it and giving it a Venetian appearance.
The idea of constructing a barrage across Krishna dates back to 1798. But it took some shape in the hands of captain Buckle and was revised in 1839 and 1841 by captain Best and captain Lake. After the endorsement of Major Cotton, the board of Directors of East India Company approved it on 5 January 1850. The barrage was started in 1852 and completed in 1855. Later the State Government constructed a new regulator cum-round bridge that was named after Sri Tanguturi Prakasam, the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. Completed in 1957 it helps irrigating over 12 lakh (1.2 Million) acres of land. One of the first major irrigation projects of South India, the Prakhasam Barrage in Vijayawada was completely successful in its mission.
Andhra Pradesh largely owes its richness in agriculture to the Prakasam Barrage as the project has helped in the irrigation of huge agricultural lands. The barrage provides gorgeous view with the shimmering lake. The balmy breeze and the placid waters make it one of the major travel attractions in Vijayawada. It is the largest in the Asian continent.
Prakasam Barrage Location Map